Monthly Report for the Heritage Lottery Fund November 2021
St Sylvester’s Church Renovation and Community Project, Chivelstone Parish, Kingsbridge
Work during November covered the external repair to the lower tower and church walls, the internal fix to the toilet/shower, the internal glass west door and the access staircase to the bell ringing chamber by Westcountry Stonemasons (WCSM). Work also continued on the cleaning and conservation of the pulpit by Humphries and Jones and implementing the Activity and Interpretation plans.
Tasks carried out in the Month
- General project administration and record keeping was undertaken.
- We continue to try to raise additional funds with various support events such as coffee mornings and our virtual church jigsaw.
- The Diocese have confirmed that we can continue to have access to their loan facility and we are assessing the best option to meet our cashflow requirements.
- This month the Project Architect and Contract teams have covered the following work;
- All scaffolding has been removed and final re-pointing to the lower section of the tower and church north wall is nearly complete. Substantial completion is still on programme to meet the revised deadline agreed of 10th
- The window repairs (to stonework) and window guards are complete and the tower spiral slit window will be repaired shortly.
- The lead work and rainwater goods to the north side of the tower are complete.
- Internal fit out to the toilet/shower is continuing with second fix plumbing and electrics underway.
- The internal glass west door/screen has been fitted and the paddle stairs to the bell ringing chamber are in place with just handrails to add.
- Humphries and Jones have returned for a further week to finish off the pulpit conservation work.
- There have been no H&S issues and our adviser Health and Safety Associates is liaising with WCSM regarding the Health and Safety works file.
- The Architect is on site every week and in close contact with WCSM day to day.
- The eleven months works valuation is complete.
- There are regular monthly progress meetings (zoom) between the PSC, Contractors and Architect/Consultants.
- The project website continues to be updated and we are still seeing a good level of hits.
- Instalments 15 of the Church Blog has been issued.
Community Engagement/Activity Plan
- With the lifting of Covid restrictions we are now able to implement the activities detailed in our Activity Pan but we are conscious that again these may have to be ‘worked around’ should they be re-introduced.
- The first church service since the start of the repair works was held on Remembrance Sunday.
- The development of the interpretation ‘tower’ panels with our consultant Smith and Jones is nearly complete and includes the feedback from the community.
- The development of the fourth interpretation ‘tower’ funded by the South West Maritime Achaeological Group (SWMAG) is underway.
- Volunteer time this month was 57.5 hours mainly working on the Activities, Interpretation and Project Admin.