Monthly Report for the Heritage Lottery Fund February 2021
St Sylvester’s Church Renovation and Community Project, Chivelstone Parish, Kingsbridge
Work during February covered repair to the main church, vestry and south porch by Westcountry Stonemasons (WCSM), developing fund raising initiatives and carrying out/developing remote community activities.
Tasks carried out in the Month
- General project administration and record keeping was undertaken.
- The second grant payment was received from the NLHF.
- The virtual ‘Church Jigsaw’ fund raising scheme is now live on the JustGiving website and funds are being received to complete the picture.
- This month the Project Architect and Contract teams have covered the following work;
- The stonemasons are raking out all accessible areas of the church pointing at low level; this is ongoing.
- The unstable Vestry east wall was carefully taken down and has now been rebuilt and strengthened. Adjustments to the roof will be completed when the roofers attend site next month.
- The South Porch structural repairs (underpinning and Helifix ties) are complete and the porch is now being rebuilt locally as agreed with Structural Engineer and Architect. The work has gone very well and work to the roof over the porch is planned soon.
- The wall studding to the new toilet/shower is in place and wall coring is complete for the drains and air vent. The drainage has been adjusted externally and will now work without the need for pumping. The new opening into the bell ringing chamber has been formed.
- First fix electrics and plumbing started and is on going.
- A window survey will be carried out next month to update prior to commencement of repairs on site.
- Our Project Archaeologist has been on site to oversee any excavations.
- There have been no H&S issues and our adviser Health and Safety Associates has attended site.
- The Architect is on site every week and in close contact with WCSM day to day.
- The second months works valuation is underway.
- There are monthly progress meetings (zoom) between the PSC, Contractors and Architect/Consultants.
- The project website continues to be updated and we are still seeing a good level of hits.
- We are developing the next instalment of the Church Blog.
Community Engagement/Activity Plan
- The difficult Covid 19 restrictions and current ‘lockdown’ are continuing to frustrate our Activity programme but we are actively adjusting our plan in conjunction with our partner the AONB, to carryout virtual alternatives.
- The story telling video about the grave of the shipwrecked sailors from the Marana is being progressed and filming has taken place in the graveyard.
- The development of the Chivelstone Memory Trail is continuing.
- In conjunction with the AONB a virtual zoom talk on 120 years of local farming was given and the event was sold out.
- In line with the current Covid ‘road map’ we are hopeful that our Church Fete and Project Open Day can take place in August and September respectively.
- Volunteer time this month was 49 hours mainly working on project admin and finances, fundraising and implementation of the Activity Plan.