St Sylvester’s Church, Chivelstone
Because there is so much history to St Sylvester’s Church, Chivelstone, some of the images below have a linked page with its history.The earliest reference to Chivelstone as a named place is in Domesday Book, where Cheveletone is listed as one of three manors, all held by Juhel de Bretagne, Lord of Totnes. In 1288, in the Taxatio of Pope Nicholas, the church is recorded as belonging to Totnes Priory.
The main part of the church dates from somewhere between 1536 and 1549. The tower and the chancel predate this, but the nave and aisles were rebuilt at that time, replacing an older structure which probably had no aisles, but might have had a transept.
For details of the Church Repair Project with the National Heritage Lottery Fund click here.
St Sylvester’s Graveyard
The Bosses on the Roof
St Sylvester’s Church door with Sanctuary Ring