|Return to St Sylvester’s|
Stylistically of the later 15th to very early 16th century, it is certainly not in its original position, having been strapped to the front of the eastern pillar of the north nave arcade in the 18th or early 19th century, while its base dates from the end of the 19th century. [Robert Waterhouse The Parish Church of St Sylvester, Chivelstone: An Archaeological Survey]
Special notice should be taken of the pulpit. It is all in one piece, being hollowed out of the trunk of a large oak tree; the outside has been shaped into octagonal form, and is richly carved and painted to match the screen. [John Stabb Some Old Devon Churches (1908)].