St Sylvester’s

Buildings  Coastguards/LSA   Farming Fishing People Wars Transport Wrecks 
St Sylvester’s

St Sylvester's Church and War Memorial

Kelly’s Directory of 1939 stated:
The church was restored in 1897 and afford 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1684. The living, is a rectory annexed to South Pool, joint net yearly value £435, and residence in the gift of the Lord Chancellor (two turns) and Col. W. Parker (one turn) and held since 1931 by the Rev Bernard Norton Adams BA of Selwyn College Cambridge.

On 1 April 1979 H M The Queen having signed the Order in Council, Chivelstone obtained independent parochial status within the
new united benefice of East Portlemouth, South Pool and Chivelstone. On 22 May the Bishop of Exeter came to Chivelstone Church to preside over the institution and induction of the first incumbent of the new benefice (the Rev John Taylor).